In 1911, a missionary from the East Fork Lutheran Mission was sent 50 miles west to the community of Cibecue. A small mission chapel was constructed in Lower Cibecue with the missionary also operating a school program. In the 1920's, as local people began moving several miles up the river, a second chapel was built in Upper Cibecue.
The main base of ministry was consolidated in the 1970's on the Upper Cibecue site called Gethsemane Lutheran Church. The school program functioned until the 1990's, and the church today continues to be an active part of the community. The people of Cibecue continue to eagerly hear about Jesus in both the English and Apache languages each week.
The little mission at Lower Cibecue also still stands, serving as a historical marker and used on special occasions.
Located on the White Mountain Reservation west of the main State Highway 60 - turn left onto Indian Rt 12 and travel approximately 12 miles, turning onto West Cromwell Rd
PO Box 80010
Cibecue, AZ 85911-0010
Worship: 10 AM Sundays
Sunday School: 9:15 AM Sundays
Bible Class: 6:00 - 7:30 pm Mondays
Street Worship: 6 PM Wednesdays
Adult Bible Instruction: as requested
Youth Confirmation Instruction: as requested
Pastor Gary Lupe
Evangelist Leonard Fall